Fighting the good fight against disposable everything
One set of reusable grocery bags under your belt, and life is good. Your plastic bag pile has disappeared, it’s easier to carry your groceries, and you love saving the planet. Life is looking pretty groovy right now.
But soon, you’ll get complacent. You’ll get comfortable. You’re hungry for a challenge. You find yourself wondering, “Can I do more?”
Yes. Yes, you can.
When you’re ready to take the next steps to greener pastures, here are a few things to look out for that could lessen your single-use plastic consumption, and make the world a better place.
Think reusable, not disposable. For more than half of the disposables you have in your home, there’s an eco-friendly replacement.
- Reusable Ziploc bags
- Reusable straws
- Beeswax-coated fabric, instead of plastic wrap
- Rags or fabric towels instead of paper towels
Being eco-friendly isn’t just for the kitchen in your home. When you’re out and about, stay prepared and you can seriously minimize your disposable consumption.
- Reusable silverware for your work lunches
- Aluminum water bottles
- Packable tote bag for spur-of-the-moment shopping
- Reusable produce bags
- Choosing cans over bottles, for easier recycling and less destruction
If you’re already next-level tree hugger but want to be even kinder on the environment, check out these ideas for more advanced Earth-saving. There may be things you’ve never even considered.
- Ditch disposable razors for reusables - or opt for waxing instead
- Chewing gum is made from plastic (ew) and can be replaced with alternatives
- Skip everyone’s least favorite party favor, glitter. It literally never goes away.
- Purchase goods like rice, pasta, nuts etc. in bulk, and load in reusable containers
- Use matches instead of disposable, plastic lighters
- Bring a to-go mug on your next coffee run
They may seem like little things, but when you, your friends, and your family are doing all of the above, the impact gets big fast. It’s never too late to change it up and challenge yourself to do better for our planet – because we’ve only got one!